Sunday, February 26, 2006

Update on the Knee

I had a wonderful talk with Poohy on Thursday... the longest conversation weve been able to have in months! She went for her rusults of the MRI on her knee. The results were somewhat good. There are no tears in the cartilage, so that means no surgery... yippeeeeeeeeee. They did find that she has some degenerative fraying to the cartilage( most likely from the years of High School Basketball !), but surgery wont fix that. They said it will just take time for it to heal on its own. They fitted her with a knee brace, which she must wear during activity. Im pleased it wasnt bad... but as a Mom I must say I was hoping it was bad enough that they just might send her home. Not gonna happen I dont think. Cant blame me for wishing tho?
She's been going like a bat outta Hell tryin to catch up on her deployment training, so that she wouldnt be too far behind the rest of the unit. Shes pretty close to being caught up. She was sooo worried about having to ship behind her unit... with people she doesnt know. That is still a possibility... it all depends on her knee. The Mob site Doctor, is monitoring her progress, and monitoring the knee. If it continues to swell alot during the roughest part of their training, she may have to stay back a few weeks to allow it more time to heal. The Doc thinks that hard training may just agravate the healing process, so... time will tell!! Im sure Poohy is about fed up with not knowing just where she stands on the whole deployment thing. It has to be hard to get your mind set, when doctors cant get their own opinions set on her progress! First they say... she's ready to go, then hurry up and wait, then say... um she's not ready to go...it's enough to drive a person mad!
One thing I can say tho... I sure can sense the changes in Poohy since this all started. I listened to her talking, and could feel the "military bearing" coming back to her. Let me explain... when she went to basic training, almost 5 years ago, she was a bouncy youngin just out of High School. 9 weeks later, she was a confident soldier, with a whole new respect for authority and her country. Now over these last 5 years of serving in the reserves, the" military attitude" kinda took a back seat, as she only used her knowledge on one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. But now being active duty, and back into the day to day military life, I can feel those changes coming back to the surface, I can hear it in her voice. She sounds confident again, and the military way , has once again taken over the drivers seat. I know in my heart, she's again ready for whatever the country may ask of her. It's just so awesome to me to see the changes taking place, almost before your very eyes. I think that kind of confidence comes from somewhere in the soul. I really believe that it takes a special kind of person to be a soldier. It comes from down deep. Thats why soldiers see other soldiers in a way we civilians cant understand. Its a bond, that only they share. They all have that "something" that ya cant put your finger on... but you feel it when you are in their presence. I just sit in awe when she speaks of the duties she has had to perform, and know in my heart that she'll be A-O-K no matter what the future brings.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just surfed into your blog.
It is with great honour that I want to say thank you for what your family si doing. Serving for your country is something we will never forget.This world keeps moving forward because of people like you.
I am an italian proud to having part my family in the United States.I miss so much people like you, I miss so much America, I miss so much Freedom. But I am looking forward to rejoining all of them as soon as possible.
Wishing you all the best.
Matt.

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Site Meter